Tuesday, May 5, 2009

grilled margherita portobello mushrooms

I've never been a huge mushroom fan. I didn't go out of my way to pick them out of a dish or anything, but I just never had the desire to make anything that called for them. A few months ago we had a delicious dinner at Brad's parents that had mushrooms in it and I've been craving them ever since. When I saw this recipe I couldn't wait to try it - the whole caprese mixture always calls to me. This is yet another almost effortless meal to throw together. Delicious and satisfying. I served with a side of noodles drizzled with olive oil and parmesan cheese.

Grilled Margherita Portobello Mushrooms
4 medium portobello mushroom(s), stems removed, wiped clean with a damp paper towel
1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
1/2 cup(s) Part-Skim Shredded Mozzarella
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 medium plum tomato(es), sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
8 leaves basil, fresh (for garnish)

Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Place mushrooms on a tray and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Place mushrooms on grill, underside (gill) down, and cook, covered, 4 minutes. Uncover and using tongs, flip mushrooms; cook for 4 minutes more.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cheese, garlic powder and oregano.

After mushrooms have cooked for 8 minutes, remove them to a tray and reduce grill heat to medium-low. Fill each mushroom cap with about 2 tablespoons of seasoned cheese. Place mushrooms back on grill and cook, covered, until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Remove mushrooms to a serving plate and top each with 4 slices of tomato and 2 basil leaves.

*Also delicious drizzled with balsamic vinegarette.

recipe from weightwatchers.com

No comments: