Wednesday, January 26, 2011

potato leek lentil stew


I cannot remember the last time I wasn't just a little bit cold...(October maybe?)...I awake each morning, run to the warmth of the shower, dress for the day, hop in a cold car, drive to work, sit glued to the space heater underneath my desk at work, hop in a cold car to drive home, wrap myself in blankets on the couch while nursing my sweet baby...sounds like winter in Ohio to me! This stew promises to warm you up even on the coldest of winter days (it was like 0 degrees this past weekend!)...


I originally made this recipe back in the fall while visiting my mom - she had bought dried lentils in Amish country and didn't know what to do with them. The original recipe has you puree the soup, but I found I like it much better in stew form - much more of a comfort food this way and absolutely delicious.


potato leek lentil stew
3 bacon slices
2 cups chopped leek
1 cup chopped onion
5 cups water
2 cups chopped peeled baking potato (about 12 ounces)
1 cup dried lentils
3/4 cup chopped carrot
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Add leek and onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Add water, potato, lentils, carrot, and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Add bacon.

recipe adapted from here

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm making this today! I have a serious love affair with leeks. I'm going to plant them FOR SURE this summer. :)

sarah said...

I'm so honored that someone still checks my blog :) Hope you enjoyed this stew - it's one of our favorites!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness, this soup was ah-mazing. I literally could not stop eating it!

sarah said...

Isn't it?! Last time we made this I froze half of it...I'm looking forward to defrosting some for lunch today!