Sunday, February 27, 2011

carrot oatmeal cookies


Here is a delicious cookie you don't have to feel guilty about eating. Almost muffin like in texture it is so moist and full of flavor. I found the recipe on 101 cookbooks where she describes it as a cross between a macaroon & carrot cake, which is completely accurate. This is my first experience with coconut oil (I believe it's used in place of oil or butter) and it gives such a nice flavor to the cookie. I also love that it's sweetened with syrup instead of sugar. Such a delicious little treat!



carrot oatmeal cookies
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup slivered almonds
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup real maple syrup, room temperature
1/2 cup unrefined (fragrant) coconut oil, warmed until just melted
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
 

Preheat oven to 375F degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and oats. Add the nuts and carrots. In a separate smaller bowl use a whisk to combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, and ginger. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Drop onto prepared baking sheets, one level tablespoonful at a time, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in the top 1/3 of the oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden on top and bottom.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

recipe adapted from 101cookbooks.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I found your blog through the guest post at The Saucy Kitchen and so glad I did! I love meeting people that love food as much as I do...lol. Your cookies look so yummy. I have never made oatmeal cookies, so this may be a good way to try them. Definitely bookmarking this recipe. Have a great day.

Angie @ Cocina Diary

Sarah @ naughtytastebud said...

Hi Angie! So glad you found me :)Your blog is beautiful and I look forward to browsing around it!Thanks for reading!

Nicole @ Sprinkle with Salt said...

I have these on my blog too! really tasty and easy :) yum!