Wednesday, November 24, 2010

velvet spice cake


My love affair with spice cake started 10 years ago when my sister got married. She married in the fall and besides being one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever been to, they had the most delicious food too. Up until her wedding, every wedding I had been to had just your everyday traditional wedding cake. You know, with the different levels and bride & groom cake topper on the top layer and the main reason I even paid attention to the cake was to get a piece to take home and put under my pillow so I could dream of who I'd marry that night. My sister's cake wasn't like that at all. It was a multi layer spice cake with cream cheese frosting between each layer, beautifully adorned with flowers and berries - like something out of a magazine. I wish I could post a picture, but that was way back before everyone had digital cameras (not to mention I'd have to go digging for a picture)! When my mom asked me to bring dessert to our Thanksgiving feast I decided to forgo the traditional pumpkin pie and opted instead for this spice cake. I found the recipe in the Joy of Cooking cookbook and had to try it since it boasted a "flavor unequaled among spice cakes". Although it doesn't compare to my sister's wedding cake, I think it's a pretty close second.

velvet spice cake
from joy of cooking

2 1/3 C sifted cake flour
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1 ts grated or ground nutmeg
1 ts ground cinnamon
1/2 ts ground cloves
1/2 ts salt
3/4 C unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/4 C sugar
3 large egg yolks
3/4 C plus 2 T yogurt - I used Greek yogurt (or buttermilk)
3-4 large egg whites
1/8 ts cream of tartar
1/4 C sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease & flour a bundt pan.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices & salt until thoroughly blended. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy, about 30 seconds. Gradually add 1 1/4 C sugar and egg yolks one at a time and beat on high until light and fluffy (2-4 minutes). On low speed, add the flour mixture alternating with yogurt.

In a separate bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites & cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4C sugar and beat until peaks are stiff, but not dry.

Use a rubber spatula to fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the remaining whites. Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Frost with cream cheese frosting or serve with pumpkin ice cream!

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Mmm, I'm going to dream about that cake tonight!

Lily ( Laura I Love You) said...

You must use a bunt pan I think i used a spring form and it was wet in the middle . The directions on how to mix the egg whites into the batter were confusing .