Friday, March 27, 2009

mujaddarah

This is a great Middle Eastern salad, though I'm not certain how "authentic" this recipe is... the first time I ever had it, from Nature's Bin, it was prepared very much like this. But every recipe I found used rice instead of bulgur wheat. I've been wanting to explore nutty bulgur wheat, so I just subbed it into the dish in place of rice. The following recipe is a conglomeration of several I found online. It came out great.

Mujaddarah
3 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp salt
2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 cup brown lentils (dry)
1/4 cup bulgur wheat (dry)

Cover the lentils with an inch or two of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes, until the lentils are kind of al dente.

In a separate dish, add half a cup of boiling water to the bulgur wheat. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.

Saute the onion in the oil until soft and translucent.

Combine lentils, bulgur wheat, onions, and remaining ingredients. Serve hot, cold, or anywhere in between.