Sunday, March 15, 2009

whole wheat buttermilk pancakes w/ maple agave syrup

I was wandering through Trader Joes the other day and happened upon the maple agave syrup. If you remember my granola bar post I mentioned how much we like using agave nectar, needless to say I decided to give the syrup a try. The best part: it was less than $4 for the 8 oz. jar which is so much better than upwards of $10 for pure maple syrup.

I found the pancake recipe on cookinglight.com. There were quite a few reviews - mainly ones raving about how good the pancakes were. They were good, but definitely nothing to rave about in my opinion. They were super fluffy and they did have an overall good flavor, but I've had better (Lynne - you and Scott made the BEST pancakes for Brad and I when we visited you in Chicago a few years ago - all I remember is they had oatmeal and maybe cinnamon in them?...I need the recipe!) One of the reviewers suggested freezing the leftovers to pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast during the week (something I've never thought to do before - I usually just put them in the fridge, forget about them and throw them out after a few weeks...). All in all a satisfying breakfast, but one I'll be experimenting with next time.


Ingredients
3/4 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
3 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 C buttermilk
1 T. vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
Cooking spray

Preparation
Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

2 comments:

Mary and Justin said...

Will have to try this! Whole wheat pancakes are my favorite all time food!

Anonymous said...

Love that syrup Sarah!
I can't wait to try the pancake recipe. Whole wheat pancakes are our Saturday tradition....the girls wake me up for them!
~jENNA