Wednesday, April 8, 2009

homemade granola


Brad and I have been experimenting with some different granola recipes lately, but I think this is by far my favorite - the perfect mixture of sweet & saltiness. I couldn't find the original recipe he's made, and the last one I made was delicious but just a bit too sweet to have around all the time. I found this recipe at my favorite food blog (the kitchen sink recipes) and couldn't wait to try it. You'll notice I've adapted a few things, mainly using our agave nectar maple syrup for the honey and maple syrup it calls for.

Homemade Granola
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes, unsweeteend
3 tablespoons flax seeds
1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts, chopped (I used almonds & walnuts)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons agave nectar maple syrup (can use honey & maple syrup here)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used cranberries & blueberries)

Preheat the oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the dried fruit. Stir well.

Spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet, spreading it out into an even layer. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until desired brownness, stirring every 10 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and and cool completely, in its pan, on a wire wrack. Once the granola is cool, mix in the dried fruit. Eat plain for a snack, with milk for breakfast or mixed in with yogurt as an after dinner treat!

adapted from http://www.thekitchensinkrecipes.com/

1 comment:

Lynne said...

This looks so yummy, Sarah! I haven't made granola in a really long time... maybe this weekend I'll give it a try.