I've been wanting to make something with rhubarb ever since I had the most delicious rhubarb dessert at the Greenhouse Tavern. We were lucky enough to get to go to their friends and family night before they opened because we have friends in high places. Anyway, as I mentioned I couldn't wait to try a rhubarb dessert. This pie was a bit unusual in that a pie dish was not used, instead you just folded the dough around the filling and placed it on a baking sheet to bake. I liked the outcome though - somewhat rustic looking and absolutely delicious! Oh and if you live in Cleveland and haven't tried the Greenhouse Tavern yet, by all means, go as soon as you can!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
About 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
About 3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter or margarine
2 cups sliced strawberries (1/2 in. thick)
2 cups sliced rhubarb (1/2 in. thick; about 2/3 lb.)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, gently mix strawberries, rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and cardamom.
3. On a lightly floured board, roll dough into a 14-inch round. Slide onto a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet; if dough tears, press back together.
4. Stir berry mixture; spoon evenly onto pastry, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold dough border over edges of fruit, tucking to incorporate excess pastry.
5. Melt remaining 2 teaspoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl in a microwave oven at full power (100%), about 15 seconds. Brush pastry rim with butter and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
6. Bake in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until pastry is browned and fruit bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes.
7. Let cool at least 30 minutes. Slide a long metal spatula under pastry to release. Slide pie onto a platter. Serve warm or cool. Cut into wedges.
original recipe from cookinglight.com