Monday, May 25, 2009

chewy chocolate chip cookies

What says all American more than good old fashioned chocolate chip cookies? I thought it was an appropriate choice for the Memorial Day weekend. I made these cookies a few weeks back and didn't even bother to take photos since I figured they'd be nothing special, but I was wrong. They might just be the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've come across yet. Think soft batch cookies, you know, the ones that are super soft and chewy and delicious and full of all sorts of things that aren't "food"? These are every bit as good as those, except homemade. So I tried them again the other night, camera in hand and decided to add a little twist to them this time. I used agave nectar instead of brown sugar and whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. They came out just as delicious as the other batch and I think my search for The Best chocolate chip cookie has come to an end.



Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 2/3 C whole wheat flour
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 C butter, softenened
2/3 C agave nectar (or 1 C brown sugar)
1 large egg
2 t vanilla
3/4 C chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl, set aside.

Beat butter with a mixer until fluffy. Add agave nectar, beating until blended. Add egg and vanilla, beating just until blended.

Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, stirring just until combined. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheet.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Yield: 58 cookies

recipe adapted from WeightWatchers Annual Recipes for Success 2007

1 comment:

Christie said...

These were so yummy! I was a bit worried since the dough is dry compared to most, and I didn't get nearly the number of cookies out, but they were moist and completely delicious. I will have to double the recipe next time since they were gone in 2 days! The kids couldn't tell they were a healthier version and the big grin on my face when they asked for more must have surprised them. Thanks! (Liptaks cousin in law)