Sunday, May 10, 2009

fudgy coffee brownie bites

I know, I know. I started this blog with such good intentions - to only make recipes that were "good" for me, to find new and unique substitutions for the not so healthy ingredients, etc. Then I make samoas and chocolate pretzel tart and these brownies...I will say though, at least they're homemade and not processed with ingredients I can't pronounce, right?


I wanted to take a treat to work last Friday so when I decided to make brownies, I found this recipe and couldn't resist. I skimmed through the recipe, saw it had coffee (which I always love) but more intriguing cinnamon, which I've never had in a brownie before. Naturally, I dove into making these before realizing the amounts it called for...2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of sugar & 5 eggs! But seriously, how could you go wrong with an ingredient lineup like that?!?

...super fudge-like and tasty. The cinnamon is such an unexpected flavor, but works so well in these.


Fudgy Coffee Brownies
2 sticks unsalted butter
5 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons instant-espresso powder (I used instant coffee)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
Melt butter and chocolate with espresso powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time until mixture is glossy and smooth.
Whisk together flour, cinnamon, and salt, then whisk into chocolate mixture.
Spread batter in pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with crumbs adhering, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into bite size 1" squares.

original recipe from gourmet magazine

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Oh man...I want one of those right now! I have never had coffee in brownies, but I know I would love it. They do look so moist and fudgy!