Thursday, September 24, 2009

last of summer

The older I get the more I appreciate the change of the seasons. Although I'm sad to say goodbye to summer, especially since we had such a mild summer, I'm sooo looking forward to fall. Sweater and scarf weather, bonfires and hot cider, football and comfort food, not to mention all the holidays just around the corner. In light of all of this, we tried to capture the last bit of summer we could. We plucked all the rest of the basil from our assorted basil plants and Brad made his "rustic" pesto - basically just pesto sans a food processor so it's chunkier and super tasty. He made a bunch and we enjoyed some over noodles that particular night while freezing the rest. I've never frozen pesto before, but I've had many people recommend it to me. I'm looking forward to defrosting it in a snowstorm sometime mid-January and enjoying the taste of summer.


Rustic Pesto

2 C fresh basil
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 C pine nuts
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 C olive oil
salt & fresh cracked pepper
Roughly chop basil and toss with cheese, pine nuts, garlic and olive oil. Salt & pepper to taste. Mix with cooked whole wheat rotini.

No comments: