Tuesday, September 29, 2009

a swift change

All of a sudden our mild 70 degree days have been replaced with chilly rainy days that barely make it out of the 50's. I'm not complaining because I love the excuse this weather gives me of barricading myself indoors and concocting all sorts of delicious food. Nonetheless, I wish we could have more of a transition between the two. I had all the windows in the house open Sunday and didn't think ahead to how cold it would be the next morning.

Monday morning I awoke and had to peel myself out of my warm cozy bed where my dog & husband provide enough heat to fuel a furnace (yes, our dog sleeps with us...between us...under the covers...it's the best). It had dropped at least 20 degrees from the night before and I ran through the house shutting every window then to the warmth the shower would provide. On mornings such as this, a hearty warm breakfast is all that I could ask for.
Apple Walnut Oatmeal

1 1/2 C water
3/4 C rolled oats
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
2 T dark brown sugar
2 T granola
2 T chopped walnuts

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add oats, apple and cinnamon and stir until combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When most of the water is absorbed and the apples are softened, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and brown sugar. Top each serving with 1 T granola and 1 T walnuts. Sprinkle with a little agave nectar for an extra treat! Serves 2 (generous size portions!)
recipe from October/November 2009 issue of Fit Pregnancy Magazine

No comments: