Wednesday, October 21, 2009

my favorite thing

Monday night at 9:30 I realized we had nothing of substance to eat for dinner the following night (after grocery shopping only 4 days earlier...how does that happen?). I quickly googled lentil soups hoping to find something quick and easy we could throw together after work and found this recipe. After reading through a few of the reviews, one mentioned she threw everything in the crockpot and it turned out delicious. That was good enough for me. I mentioned to Brad I was going to do that the following morning so we'd have a delicious dinner awaiting us when we arrived home from work. Then a lightbulb went off in my head: why not prepare it right then and turn the crockpot on overnight so we could enjoy this dish for lunch? Sometimes I surprise myself.

Red Lentil Soup
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
6 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Plenty of freshly ground salt & pepper

Throw everything in a crockpot, mix and set on low for 10 hours. Delicious!
Ours turned out VERY spicy (could be due to the habanero powder I added instead of the cayenne pepper). Regardless, adjust to your taste.
recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments: