Wednesday, May 11, 2011

crispy raw kale salad


My sister Mary sent me this recipe last week raving about how good it was. It was so good she made it twice in one week. With that kind of hype, I couldn't wait to try it. Much to Brad's disappointment I made it for dinner on cinco de mayo (he obviously wanted something a little more festive) and I could tell he wasn't too excited about it. He couldn't hide how much he like it when he went back for seconds though. I cannot tell you how delicious this is! We made again to bring to my sister Jenna's for a Mother's Day cookout and I'm already dreaming of when I'll make it again. So quick & easy, so fresh & crisp, so satisfying, so summer-y. Yum yum! This will definitely be a staple meal for us this summer, hopefully with some kale from our garden!



crispy raw kale salad
1 bunch kale (any kind, we tried the curly kale the 2nd time)
2 thin slices bread
1 garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon & zest
a dash red pepper flakes (to taste)

Toast bread slices in the oven (at 350 degrees or so) until golden brown and crispy. Pulse toast in a food processor to make small crumbs.

In a food processor, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and 1/2 of the cheese. Add to a large bowl and toss with the kale until leaves are completely coated. Add, bread crumbs, zest, red pepper flakes, remaining cheese and salt to the kale and toss a few more times. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

recipe courtesy of keepitsimplefoods.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for mew ways of trying kale and this sounds like a winner. Bookmarking it to make it this week.

Maria @ A Platter of Figs