Wednesday, January 27, 2010

mid day snack



I've tried a few different granola bar recipes before, always pleased with the outcome, but never pleased enough to where I actually make them a second time. My friend at work introduced me to this website and while perusing, I found this recipe. Intrigued because I like Clif bars, I thought I'd give these a go. I like recipes where you can substitute in and out ingredients so each time you make them there's a new twist. I was very pleased with the ingredients I chose for this batch and look forward to making them next weekend with a new list of ingredients.



Homemade Clif Bars

1 1/4 C crisp rice cereal (I used toasted o's)
1 C oats
3 T ground flaxseed
1/4 C finely chopped dried fruit (I used cranberries)
1/4 C finely chopped nuts (I used roasted almonds)
1/4 C honey (maple syrup, light molasses, etc.)
2 T dark brown sugar
1/3 C nut butter (I used almond butter)
1 t vanilla extract



Combine the cereal, oats, flaxseed, fruit & nuts in large bowl.

Bring the syrup and brown sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in nut butter and vanilla until blended.

Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (mixture will be stiff). Press mixture firmly (be sure to pack down as much as you can so as not to end up with crumbly bars.) into an 8-inch square pan (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) using a large square of wax paper. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 bars and store in fridge.



recipe courtesy of enlightened cooking

1 comment:

Nicole @ Sprinkle with Salt said...

these look great Sarah! I'm def making them this weekend, they will make a perfect snack to take to work. thanks!