Monday, January 25, 2010

treats



One of my favorite childhood snacks was graham crackers. If they were chocolate covered, well all the better. I made chocolate covered pretzels & graham crackers a while back with my nieces and was appalled when I saw the ingredient list on the graham crackers. The grocery store I visited had 3 different brands, all proudly displaying high fructose corn syrup as one of their main ingredients (not to mention a slew of other unrecognizable ingredients). Suffice it to say, I couldn't wait to put my hands to work and concoct a graham cracker with only real food in it.



These were a bit time consuming to make but well worth the extra effort. They practically melt in your mouth and taste similar to shortbread with a hint of cinnamon. They've passed my highest standard of taste-testers too: my adorable nieces & nephew.

Homemade Graham Crackers

1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour or graham flour (I used graham)
1/2 C toasted wheat germ
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon*
1 C unsalted butter, softened
3/4 C brown sugar
2 T high quality honey





Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flours, wheat germ, salt baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside.

Put butter, brown sugar, and honey into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined.

Turn out dough onto a floured surface, and divide into quarters. Roll out each piece between 2 sheets of floured parchment paper into rectangles a bit larger than 9 x 6 inches, about 1/8 inch thick. (My dough was incredibly crumbly at this point, leaving me bewildered and ready to throw out the dough; don't fret if this is your experience too, just work it with your hands and eventually it will start sticking together).

Using a fluted pastry wheel (or knife), trim the outermost edges of each rectangle, and divide into three 6 by 3-inch rectangles. Pressing lightly, so as not to cut all the way through, score each piece in half lengthwise and crosswise, to form four 3 by 1 1/2 inch crackers. Stack parchment and dough on a baking sheet and chill in freezer until firm, about 20 minutes.

Remove two sheets of dough from freezer. Pierce crackers using the tines of a fork (or toothpick). Transfer to large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake, rotating halfway through, until dark golden brown, 10 - 12 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Let cool on sheet 5 minutes; transfer crackers to wire racks to cool completely. Can be stored in airtight container for up to 3 days.

*I plan to double the cinnamon next time I make.



recipe courtesy of marthastewart.com

1 comment:

Mary and Justin said...

Do you want to come make those for me sis!