Sunday, July 25, 2010

no lie


 I'm not even going to pretend that I'm back at this for good, but I've found myself with a little extra time today and a really good recipe to share (and I actually remembered to capture a few photographs while baking). Scones have been on my "to make" list for years now and I've just never gotten around to trying them. I think I built them up in my head as something hard to make and they would just make a mess and I'd get frustrated and give up. Not sure where I got that idea, but it was quite the opposite. As long as you're willing to deal with a bit of a sticky mess (key plenty of flour and/or cooking spray) these are quite simple to make and tasty too!




We had our first Sunday Bites brunch today and we had quite a feast. We made these scones as well as peach & cherry baked oatmeal. Matt & Erin made an egg, potato & cheese casserole, chicken sausage & fresh cantolope & blueberries (most ingredients courtesy of their CSA). We were short a couple this month as Jerel & Nicole are expecting their daughter in just a few weeks now!


white chocolate cherry scones

1 1/3 cup unbleached white flour
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
5 ounces white chocolate, chilled and diced
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
Milk or melted butter for glazing
Sugar and ground cinnamon for dusting, optional (I sprinkled with just sugar)


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.

In a food processor or large bowl, pulse or whisk together the flours, baking soda, cream of tarter, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Beat the egg with the buttermilk, then stir in the chocolate and cherries. Fold the flour into the buttermilk mixture until moistened.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Pat the dough into a 1/2-inch thick round, brush with milk or butter, and cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if desired.

Place the scones on the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.

recipe courtesy of thedailygreen.com

3 comments:

Nicole @ Sprinkle with Salt said...

those scones look great! sorry we missed them. see you all soon!

Heather Fanter said...

Whoo hoo! I was so excited to find a new recipe here. I am impressed that you were able to put up such a lovely post with mommyhood impending so soon :)

christine said...

Wow.. the photo looks awesome! This is a lovely white chocolate cherry scones recipe. This is must try this coming weekend. Thanks for sharing this one. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!