Saturday, August 21, 2010

new arrival(s)


I don't know what is in the water around here, but nearly everyone I know is either expecting or has just had a baby within the past few months. I suppose it's the timing in my life, just as a few years back I seemed to have attended a wedding every other Saturday. Whatever the reason, I can't get enough of all the adorable new additions my friends and family are adding to their families which is making Brad and I all the more excited for our impending arrival (less than 6 weeks now!!!).


Our foodie friends, Jerel & Nicole of Sprinkle with Salt just welcomed their daughter into the world last Tuesday (on Brad's birthday of all days). Nicole and I struck a deal a while back to bring meals to each other when we met each other's little ones. Since then I have been scouring the internet looking for "meals for new moms". I came across all the traditional soups & casseroles & lasagna suggestions (which are great for their ease of throwing together & freezability) but all of them felt so heavy and fall/winter-like. Since today was a sultry 90 degrees (with humidity through the roof) I wanted to make something light and refreshing and purely summery.  I ended up on a few sites with great suggestions* and decided upon grilled chicken with cucumber-melon salsa, fruit salad, salted fudge brownies** & zucchini bread for the new parents.



 * As I mentioned I have more than one expecting friend or family member that will be adding to their families over the next few months. I thought I'd compile a list of helpful tips so when I'm in a sleep deprived state in a few months and want to bring my best friend something when she's a new mom (in november), I can have a quick go-to list and don't have to spend time scouring the internet again!  Here are a few tips I found: taking snacks that can be eaten one handed & at any time day or night (fresh veggies & hummus, trail mix, granola bars, fruit salad, cheese cubes & crackers), taking more than just dinner, i.e. breakfast or lunch options (muffins/breads/granola for breakfast salad with grilled chicken or sandwich fixings for lunch). Take a whole meal (preferably in disposable containers so they don't have to remember whos tupperware is whos) consisting of an entree, side, dessert & even a beverage. A few nursing mom's specifically mention craving chocolate while nursing (who knew?) so brownies seem to be a popular (& easy) choice. Another neat suggestion is to bring them  homemade (or storebought if necessary) frozen cookie dough so they can make a few cookies here and there.

**I will never again waste time searching for a made from scratch brownie recipe. My search ends here. Try them, they're beyond amazing.

1 comment:

Nicole @ Sprinkle with Salt said...

thanks again for the delicious food!! we're looking forward to returning the favor when your baby arrives :)